1. How did your parents decide on your name?
I'm named after a song by The Beatles. Don't ask me which one; you know what my name is! No really though, it's called "Julia" and its on The White Album. It's actually the B-side for the single "Ob-La-Di-Ob-La-Da."
I'm not entirely sure how they came up with it, since it's so obscure. I think the story is that they were at the grocery store and it came on over the speakers? Regardless, I love being named after a Beatles song. My sister is named after a Katharine Hepburn character (Amanda from "Adam's Rib"), and I love that both of our names are related to such timeless icons.
2. Do your initials (first/middle/last) spell anything funny?
Currently, JET! In two weeks, they'll spell JEH...which rhymes with "meh" and is not as fun.
3. Did you take your middle name from childhood or did you drop your middle name & take your maiden name as your middle name? (Or if unmarried, what do you plan to do?)
I plan to drop my maiden name and keep my middle name. I like my maiden name, but I LOVE my middle name. Using two middle names would have been a mouth full, so the maiden name has to go.
4. Are you or will you name your children systematically? (ie, same first letter, same origin, etc)
Nope. Our future kids' names were chosen out of significance.
5. Did you decide on baby names as a little girl? Did you stick to them or change your mind?
Not really? I've always had some names that I've liked, and some of those names are in there somewhere. But the significance of our future names have evolved over the years with the events that have occurred during our lives. Also, Dave had opinions.
6. Does your family have any names that have been passed down through generations?
Nope. But I have a feeling that it'll start with my generation's kids...
7. Do you look at the meaning of the name or just the name itself?
"Julia" means "youthful," which I think suits me. I'm definitely a kid at heart. But, I like the origin of my name and the sound of it a lot more than I like the meaning.
8. Do you name pets with human names or pet names?
Our dog's name is Chelsea Belle. It's a human name, but it's a liiittle too cutesy for a real human. So I guess somewhere in between?
9. Are there any names that you have an affinity or dislike for based on a childhood experience/someone you once knew?
Three of my very good friends (two of whom are reading in our wedding and one of whom is a bridesmaid) are named Emily. I always joke that I've never met an Emily I didn't like. Dave is the same way with guys named Chris. Julia:Emily::Dave:Chris.
10. What are some of your favorite names & why?
Some of them I won't reveal because they are super secret baby names :) But aside from those, I really like:
- Katharine - my favorite actress of all time
- Giselle - from "Enchanted" AND from one of my favorite ballets
- Elise - from one of the first songs I learned how to play on the piano
- Zoe - the Fitzgerald heroine
- Reilly - for a boy or a girl
- William - just a good classic name
- Chatham - mmm Cape Cod
- Jack - like Cowboy from "Newsies" and Captain Jack Sparrow and just all of my favorite Disney characters
Wanna play The Name Game too? Where is your name from? What are your favorites?