Summer is quickly approaching, as evident by the high of 84˚ today in Atlanta. We're so excited to start entertaining on our deck with our new patio furniture...the only problem is that we don't yet have a working grill. I decided to take a stab at this problem recently by collecting a few flameless recipes. They were such a big hit with our guests, we didn't even miss the grill! I decided that these dishes were too good not to share, so it's my pleasure to introduce you to a new mini-series on my little blog: Summer Salads!
First up, we've got a fresh spin on a summer classic. I love pasta salad, but it's hard to find a good recipe that isn't too heavy. When I stumbled upon this recipe, I was thrilled to find something light and refreshing. Plus, it's colorful and therefore beautiful:
Caprese Pasta Salad (adapted from Hello Newlywed Life)
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (like shells or penne), cooked according to package directions and chilled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes (I like the baby heirlooms from TJ's because they're so pretty!), sliced in half
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup fresh basil, hand torn
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Mix oil, lemon juice, and garlic in a small bowl. Toss into pasta.
Gently stir in tomatoes, cheese, and basil. Add salt and pepper as desired.
Chill for at least an hour in the refrigerator.Print Recipe | Printable grocery list