Once I had prioritized flavor over health-appeal, I decided to go all out. I turned to one of my absolute favorite side dishes:
Bacon Cheddar Biscuits (adapted from theKitchn)
- 6 strips of thick-cut pork bacon (none of this turkey nonsense)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Lay bacon on the foil, then place in oven. Close the door and turn the temperature to 400˚. Bake for 17-20 minutes (it'll probably finish preheating at some point during that time). Remove cookie sheet from oven. Using tongs, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Once cool, slide the bacon up into small pieces. By the way, this is my absolute favorite way to cook bacon!
- Carefully grab both sides of the aluminum foil and fold longways, slightly. Pour bacon grease (again, carefully!) into a small, heat-resistant cup or bowl. Set aside for later. Return aluminum foil to cookie sheet - some grease will remain on foil.
- Bring oven temperature up to 450˚.
- In a food processer, combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. Quickly cut frozen stick of butter into eight or so pieces. Add to food processer and pulse until meal is finely ground.
- Pour flour and butter mixture into a large bowl. Add bacon, cheese, chives, and buttermilk. Gently hand-stir until completely moistened.
- Sprinkle a little flour on your countertop and add some to your hands. Roll out the biscuit dough until it's about 1-inch thick. Use a biscuit cutter (or the rim of a jar or glass) on all the dough. Reform remaining dough, and repeat until you've used it all.
- Place biscuits on greasy cookie sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the biscuits with reserved bacon fat. Mmmmm....
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack until completely cooled.
Easy, quick, and bacon-y...what's not to love?! What's your favorite bacon-y dish?